NYC Public Schools Kindergarten Registration Is Now Open
If you have a child who will begin kindergarten in September 2012, the New York City Department of Education has communicated key dates for families of children who will begin kindergarten in September 2012. Registration is now open through March 2, 2012 for families to apply in person at their zoned school.
Kindergarten Public School Registration for Children Entering Kindergarten September 2012
When: Now through March 2, 2012
Details: Families should apply in person between January 9 and March 2 at their zoned school and also apply to other schools which their children are eligible to attend. Schools will notify families about assignment offers beginning on March 19. To accept an offer, families must visit the school that made the offer with their children between March 26 and April 20 to pre-register.
- Child’s birth certificate or passport;
- Names of any siblings who will be enrolled in grades 1-5 at the school in September 2012.
Zoned Schools Priority Assignments:
Zoned schools will give priority to students who live in that zone. Schools will make assignments according to the following priorities, listed from highest to lowest:
1. Zoned students with a sibling who will be enrolled in grades 1-5 at the school in September 2012;
2. All other zoned students;
3. Students residing in the school’s district but outside the school’s zone, with a sibling who will be enrolled in grades 1-5 at the school in September 2012;
4. Student residing outside of the school’s district with a sibling who will be enrolled in grades 1-5 at the school in September 2012;
5. All other students residing in the school’s district but outside the school’s zone,
6. All other students.
Families can visit the Department’s Web site at www.nyc.gov/schools or call 311 to locate their zoned school.